for Gun Control
Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, & Chicago cops need
Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is
due to strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9
per 100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.
3. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but
statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are
4. The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went
into effect in 1994 are responsible for the decrease in
rates, which have been declining since 1991.
5. We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a
shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of
fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.
6. The more helpless you are, the safer you are from criminals.
7. An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but
if shot with a .357
Magnum will get angry and kill you.
8. A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a
smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.
9. When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no
defense -- give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc.
Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981, p.125).
10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice
about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent articles on
11. One should consult an automotive engineer for safer seatbelts, a
civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for internal medicine,
a computer programmer for hard drive problems, and
Sarah Brady for firearms expertise.
ratified in 1787, refers to the
National Guard, which was
created 130 years later, in 1917.
13. The National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal
land, using federally-owned weapons, vehicles, buildings and
uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "state"
14. These phrases: "right of the people peaceably to
assemble," "right of the people to be secure in their homes,"
"enumerations herein of certain rights shall not be construed to
disparage others retained by the people," and "The powers not
delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the
people" all refer to individuals, but "the right of the
people to keep and bear arm" refers to the state.
Constitution is strong and will never change." But we
should ban and seize all guns thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and
5th Amendments to that Constitution.
16. Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense! This
is why the Army has hundreds of thousands of them.
17. Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they aren't
"military weapons", but private citizens shouldn't have "assault
rifles", because they are military weapons.
18. In spite of
waiting periods, background checks, finger printing,
government forms, etc., guns today are too readily available, which
is responsible for
shootings. In the 1940's, 1950's and1960's, anyone
could buy guns at hardware stores, army surplus stores, gas
stations, variety stores, Sears mail order, no waiting, no
background check, no fingerprints, no government forms and there
were no school shootings.
19. The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about kids
handling guns is propaganda, but the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run
a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.
20. Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use
them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.
21. A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the
typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only
has about 20.
22. Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a woman
with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers'
advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."
23. Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into slaughtering
butchers, but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.
24. Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass
killings at gun
25. A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a
majority of the population supported owning slaves.
26. Any self-loading
small arm can legitimately
be considered to be a "weapon
of mass destruction" or an "assault
27. Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws against
guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.
28. The right of Internet pornographers to exist cannot be
questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the
Bill of Rights,
but the use of handguns for self defense is not really protected by
the Bill of Rights.
29. Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters,
computers, and typewriters, but self-defense only justifies bare
30. The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends certain
parts of the Constitution, and the
NRA is bad, because it
uncompromisingly defends other parts of the Constitution.
Heston, a movie actor and president of the NRA was a
lunatic. Michael Douglas, a movie actor and a representative of
Handgun Control, Inc. is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to
an audience at the UN arms control summit.
32. Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they need
larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who must face
criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.
33. We should ban "Saturday
Night Specials" and other inexpensive guns because
it's not fair that poor people have access to guns too.
34. Police officers have some special Jedi-like mastery over hand
guns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.
35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self-protection because
the police are there to protect them even though the
says the police are not responsible for their protection.
36. Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection but
police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators that work in a
building filled with cops, need a gun.
weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large
numbers of people. The police need assault weapons. You do not.
38. When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft
preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the
government pressures cities to buy guns only from
Smith & Wesson,
39. Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for
defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with
trigger locks on their duty weapons.
40. Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "keep guns out of the
wrong hands." You have the wrong hands.